Monday, May 7, 2007

Whoa lady...whoa

so today at work i had this discussion with a customer...

(we will call the woman "lady")

lady: do u guys have any rum balls?
me: not today.
lady: do u usually have them?
me: yes, but they are all gone today.
lady: can u check in the refrigerator?
me: there aren't any they got all bought up. ( i said this is my playful, casual way...knowing it wasn't exactly proper english)
lady: u mean purchased.
me: what?
lady: boughten is not a word. u need to say purchased.
me: i was just speaking casually, it's okay.
lady: no it's not. what kind of example will u be for ur children?
me: i have good english. i even thought about being an english major.

then the lady proceeded to correct me again...i got frustrated and went in the back to get a cake for a customer who had come in. i guess while i was in the back the woman called me unbelievable.

uhh...who does that? y would a woman come into a place and start correcting people she doesn't even know? she was not polite and i felt she had no place. i guess she told my coworker she is a college english teacher....but still...i felt insulted and like i needed to suddenly justify myself and let her know i write songs and get A's in english courses and yadda yadda. she didn't even know me. what if english was my second language and i struggled to be proper all the time? anyway, that happened. true story. whoa lady...whoa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in my days of coffee i have seen a number of these. the ones that suddenly make you feel the need to validate who you are, and why you are working there, when really you will probably not see this person again, or very often, at least.

i guess that's a long way of saying, i understand.